Post-Operative Workout Enhancing Recovery
Experience Pilates offers the Pink Ribbon Program(TM) , a specifically designed programme for those on the road to recovery following breast cancer surgery.
The programme will help stretch and strengthen the shoulders, chest, back and abdominal muscles, allowing range of motion to return to the areas affected by breast cancer. This workout accommodates women who have undergone surgery recently or who have long since begun recovery, and is appropriate for all fitness levels.
The Pink Ribbon Program supports the physical, mental and emotional wellness for those individuals recovering from breast cancer surgery.
There are many benefits, which include:
- Helping to regain strength and mobility in the affected shoulder and arm
- Retraining the core muscles of the abdomen and back
- Improving self-confidence
- Helping to promote a positive body image
- Restoring posture, ensuring proper biomechanics
- Enhancing and restoring energy levels
- Decreasing stress and tension
- Establishing mobility and range of motion (flexibility) for the entire shoulder girdle
- Enabling everyday activities and working towards rejoining fitness classes again.
Planned and structured return to fitness…
There are four phases of the Pink Ribbon Program. Progression from one phase to the next varies with each individual.
- Phase I focuses on increasing range of motion of the shoulder, expansion of the chest and should lade stabilisation.
- Phase II focuses on improving core strength and movement. Spinal and core stability exercises are also added to this phase.
- Phase III adds more strengthening exercises for the core and we begin to incorporate lower body strength and stability exercises.
- Phase IV introduces the use of resistance to the programme.
Help yourself at home…
Home practice is very much encouraged – a little every day goes a long way. All of the exercises given are detailed in the Pilates by Numbers ‘Breast Cancer Recovery Series’. See here for more details.
Why choose me to help you on your recovery?
Cath at Experience Pilates was the first Pink Ribbon Program Certified Breast Cancer Exercise Specialist in the north west of England.
Cath began her Pilates and breast cancer training in 2008 with the UK’s first ‘Pilates and Breast Cancer Rehabilitation’ course. She then progressed to being Certified with the Pink Ribbon Program, making her a much sought-after Pilates and Breast Cancer expert.
Private sessions available.
Everyone’s experience of breast cancer will be different, so your Pilates journey will also be different. We offer private courses that suit you. We understand that you will have good days (and not so good), and we are flexible enough to work around you.
You might have regular hospital appointments or just need some time to yourself; all of these can be accommodated during your course.
What matters is that during each of your sessions you leave feeling great about what you have just achieved and that you feel confident in practicing them at home.
Before you start…
As everyone is different and heals at an individual pace, you should consult with your healthcare provider before starting this or any exercise session.
In the news…
Lancashire Life Magazine
In January 2009 we were featured in Lancashire life, see below for what they wrote!